So HandiCraftDesigners finally has an Etsy Shop! I know, right? It’s scary and exciting all at the same time! It has taken years to get up the nerve and put my original cross stitch patterns on there. But I finally did it! I opened it with 1 pattern at the time. I was able to upload a new one every day for 5 days. I have now started working on a more complicated one and hope to have it uploaded in the next day or two.
It was really quite simple once I figured out what all I needed to have to create the first post.
I was even able to go in and edit the posts as I thought of things that should be in the description or found photos that needed to be added. It could not be any simpler.
As I get better and better at it, I suspect, it will only take a few seconds to get a product up and on the market!
My advice to anyone thinking about it…. GO FOR IT!
Things I have learned over the years that I took to market with me:
- There is no such thing as 1 size fits all…. It means that my patterns are good fits for some and not for others. I will stay true to the audience I am creating for and worry about others when I am creating patterns for them.
- Give more than is expected… As I created the booklets that contain each pattern, I decided to not only insert the pattern in the book, but to break it up into smaller sections with much larger print that is easier to read. I also offered free electronic copies of the patterns with proof of purchase.
- Everyone’s a critic… There are going to be haters! There is nothing I can do about haters. If someone has constructive criticism and it will benefit my product I will do my best to improve the product. I will not let any snarky sarcasm directed at me interfere with my plans.
- Never apologize for your price… I learned this as a mentor was helping me set up a consulting business many years ago. I also learned to price my work fairly and to give the client their monies worth.
- Pour your heart into product, it will show… I have poured my heart into my crafting for years and those that I was passionate about show it! They rock!
- Stay true to your brand… for me this is easy! I’m a crafter, everything is a craft!!! If it is not yet, it will be by the time I get done with it!
- Follow your dream… this is probably the most important. I don’t have to be internationally renown to be following my dream. I just need to be free enough to create as many hours a day as possible!
Encouraging others to follow their dreams is a passion of mine. I think about how I can do this often and will probably write about it often. If you need a cheerleader I am here, just ask and I will help in any way I can!
Go out and take that first Giant Step!